A list of things to consider:
- Destination—that is, city or town I will end up at, and (separately) airport I will fly into. If you're not sure, Sky Scanner offers searching prices by month and by vague destination. For example, "United States (any)," or "New York (any)."
- Itinerary. Where specifically am I going? John Smith Park. Jane Doe Beach. Sal Placeholder Convention Center. The Examploos Lodge. What are their fees? How far is it from where I might stay? Anything I need to bring for that? If applicable; Can I prepay, and do I need to? Beach fee? Beach sticker? Parking fees?
- If flying: Air fare. Baggage fees.
- Pet lodging, if needed.
- Transport. Bus, train, tram tickets. Car rentals and price of gas.
- Any incidental supplies needed: Travel-size bottles of soap, shampoo, shaving cream, luggage, etc.
I feel like this must be missing something, but I can't name it.